Saturday 20 July 2013

Meet Calabar Carnival Queen 2012-13: A Queen with many crowns!

                   
Sophia Dijeh is current Miss Unical, current Calabar Carnival Queen, Cross River State’s Face of Tourism and automatically Ambassador for Mothers Against Child Abandonment (MACA),a Non-Governmental Organization, which preaches abstinence among teenage girls believed to be the most vulnerable to unwanted pregnancy.
Sophia Dijeh, is a final year Theatre and Media Studies student of University of Calabar,she spoke with DAILY INDEPENDENT about her bright future as Carnival Calabar Queen (CCQ). Excepts;



How did you feel winning the coveted crown?
I felt happy, nauseous at some point. In fact, there was a time I thought I was hallucinating!  In all, I was really excited when I was announced the winner.
Tell us what motivated you into going in for the contest.
In my case it was ‘who.’ An acquaintance who bought the form for me and a friend of mine convinced me to attend the audition. That was indeed my lucky day as it was my first step to success. I got motivated when I read about her Excellency, Obioma Liyel-Imoke’s initiative. I was also motivated by what the previous queens had done for children and teenagers.
So how do you hope to work with the initiators of the contest so as to deliver set goals?
I hope to infuse my ideas into the ideas of the initiators. From my end, I hope to use drama to educate and at the same time entertain the students during my school tours.
That was quite a performance you put up for your talent act. What inspired you to do so?
I am inspired by the works of Her Excellency and what Mothers Against Child Abandonment (MACA) represents. MACA seeks to address the issues of child abandonment. My performance, a monologue titled ‘Who sat and watched my infant head when sleeping in my gutter bed’ was a demonstration of hope to the less privileged.
                                                                         
Sophia Chidinma Dijeh                            

What were the prizes that came with winning the crown?
The prizes include a Chevrolet Sparks car, N2 million, VLISCO fabric supplies for one year and I get to be an ambassador for MACA and the Face of Tourism in Cross River State.
How supportive were your parents when you showed interest in this contest?
My parents have been most supportive. They brought me up well and have been there to give me the financial, moral, physical and psychological support needed.
Do we hope to see you aspire for bigger contest in future?
If God allows it, fine. But I believe I have other plans for my life and going for another contest is not particularly in that plan. Pageantry is not a hobby and should not be treated as one.
Will being Carnival Calabar Queen affect your education in any way?
No, my education will not suffer. Fortunately, I am in school in Calabar so I don’t see it suffering in any way.
Do you have any special beauty tips?
Not particularly. I love to highlight my eyes though. I wear minimal make up because I believe that God has blessed me with really cute eyes and a pretty face so there is really no need covering it up with makeup.
What are those things you will miss now that you have assumed a bigger office?
I will particularly miss hanging out with my friends and working in the theatre with my course mates. I will miss my family as I will not be able to spend quality time with them.
What do you think are the challenges ahead of you in your new office?
The greatest challenge I imagine will be combining activities as a student and my duties as a Queen. Other challenges will be trying to convince the youths about abstinence.
What was growing up like?
As the first child of a family of four growing up was pretty tasking as I had to live up to expectation and set a good example for my siblings. I was a quiet shy girl who had interest in being an actress or a little princess. My dad always made me feel like one though. I grew up with my parents in Calabar where I and my family are based.
What is your educational background?
I attended Aunty Margaret International School Calabar, where I did my nursery and primary schooling; I attended University of Calabar Secondary School where I did my JSS1, I finished my secondary education in Federal Government Girls’ College Calabar. I am currently a final year student of Theatre and Media Studies at the University of Calabar.
What are your hobbies?
Writing and reading poems, cooking and baking and hopefully will infuse all of this in her new role as Carnival Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment