Friday 18 May 2018

From Calabar to the world: Introducing Fine Artist F. Alexis

Self expression through works of art has remained a reliable means of communication, taken further by a few as a tool for activism.
Artists all over the world have since used their ink and brushes to address issues affecting humanity. One of such artists is Frances Alexis, who signs on her works as ‘F. Alexis’.

17 year old Frances is the first daughter of her Imo State origin parents, born and bred in Calabar, Cross River State, she describes her works of art as an expression of her feelings, stating that there is an emotional attachment to all of her works, either by the inspiration which she draws from her mother or paintings inspired by life’s experiences.

Miss Frances joined other Calabar Artists to showcase at the just concluded Lions Club Multiple District International Convention, held at the prestigious Calabar International Convention Center penultimate weekend, where she spared time to share her story as she took admirers on a tour of her works of art.

Sadly, Miss Alexis lost her dad at age 6 and is left with just memories of him and a few belongings. Ever since then, her mother, who is her number one motivation and marketer rose to faith of greatness by assuming the responsibility to nurture little Frances and her talents.  

In her words, ‘I started drawing for fun for my family and friends at home growing up as a little kid, but as I grew I decided to share my works with the world, to get to know if people can relate with how I feel. ‘I like works that show feminine energy, because of my growing up with a single mother, my mum inspires me, I have watched her go through a lot alone to keep us comfortable’.

Some of her paintings on display included her well inked portrait of Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, former American President, Barack Obama, Tennis icon Serena Williams and other abstract works she tried to define despite her being short of words. She said her favorite work, the painting of a father and daughter, makes her proud.


When asked about her plans for the future and where she sees herself in 5 years, her response was a shocker, Miss Alexis said she should be flying a plane, traversing a very different field entirely, according to her 'my parents don't believe I can settle with Art as a profession, so I have assured them that I will study aviation, hoping to fly planes in the near future’.


Nelson writes from Calabar.

No comments:

Post a Comment